TURA, March 8 � In a freak accident, a part of the Williamnagar main market, in East Garo Hills, was gutted yesterday after a short circuit led to a huge fire.
Residents alleged that the fire and emergency services reached almost half an hour late leading to extensive losses.
According to sources, the fire started at about 8.30 pm yesterday and was immediately reported to the fire services, barely 500 metres from the scene of the fire.
According to locals, five shops, including two grocery shops, one hardware shop, etc., were completely destroyed. Many more shops were partially damaged.
Some miscreants took advantage of the situation to make off with money and goods during the emergency, alleged a shop owner.