WASHINGTON, Sept 2 - The US will cancel USD 300 million in military aid to Pakistan over its failure to take �decisive actions� to support President Donald Trump�s new South Asia policy and act against terror groups like the Haqqani network and Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Pentagon has announced, a fresh blow to the deteriorating ties between the two nations.
The announcement comes just days before US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is due to visit Pakistan to meet the country�s new prime minister Imran Khan. The US and others have long complained that Pakistan provides safe haven to militant networks, allowing them to carry out cross-border attacks in Afghanistan.
The Pentagon�s move, which needs to be approved by the US Congress, is part of a broader suspension of aid announced in January.
US President Donald Trump since assuming office has been tough on Pakistan over its inaction against terror groups, saying Washington has got �nothing but lies & deceit� in return for millions of dollars in aid over the years.
Trump in August last year unveiled his new South Asia policy and asked Pakistan to do more against such groups.
The US in January this year suspended more than USD 1.15 billion security assistance to Pakistan, accusing it of harbouring terror groups like the Afghan Taliban and the Haqqani Network within its borders and showing unwillingness to take �decisive actions� against them, a move that affected bilateral ties.
The Pentagon has now sought Congressional determination to reprogramme USD 300 million of its Coalition Support Fund (CSF) for Pakistan �due to a lack of Pakistani decisive actions in support of the South Asia Strategy�, Pentagon Spokesman Kone Faulkner told PTI.
He said the US military would aim to spend the money on other �urgent priorities� before the funds expire on September 30, 2018. � PTI