MANGALDAI, Jan 25 - Fishery Minister Basanta Das on Sunday inaugurated a state-of-the-art retail-cum-wholesale fish market at Mangaldai which is stated to be the second of its kind in Assam.
The market, consists of 84 well-equipped retail counters along with 10 wholesale chambers and connected to scientific waste disposal facilities, has been constructed at an estimated project cost of Rs 2 crore and 5 lakh. The Hyderabad-based National Fishery Board funded 90 per cent of the total project cost while the remaining 10 per cent share was borne by the State Government.
In connection with the opening ceremony of the new fish market, a public meeting was held outside the market premises which was attended by about 200 local people and fish sellers. Addressing the gathering, the Minister said that construction of a few such markets at various district headquarters of the State are still in progress and more such markets at different subdivision levels including at Barpeta, Gohpur, Titabor, Howly etc., are coming up soon as the government has already sanctioned these projects. Referring to the local fish production scenario in the State, the Minister said that the growing local fish production could be gauged from the Bhogali Uruka fish markets across the State, which have almost turned into �melas with local fish supplied in abundance. He further pointed out that presently the State has recorded production of 2 lakh 82 thousand metric tonnes of local fish, which is almost double compared to the one lakh sixty one thousand metric tonne production in 2001. Hence, it has significantly contributed to the economy of the State.
Speaking on the occasion, Ratul Mahanta, State Director of Fisheries termed the fish market as the second largest market in the State while Deputy Commissioner, Darrang, Manoj Kumar was hopeful that such modern infrastructure will definitely encourage the fish farmers of the district with the increasing demand for fish. The function was also attended by distinguished guests including Bidyut Bikash Bhagawati, ADC, Darrang, Pratap Bordoloi, Chairman, Mangaldai Municipal Board, Rahul Das, Executive Officer, Mangaldai Municipal Board and Prashanta Borkakaoti, Circle Officer, Mangaldai among others.