AIZAWL, July 29 - The Centre has agreed to provide over Rs 24 crore for compensation of displaced families and development of the areas where Indo-Bangladesh border fencing was undertaken in southernmost Mizoram�s Lawngtlai district, State�s Additional Home Secretary Lalbiakzama said.
Lalbiakzama said from Delhi that the approval was made in the meeting convened by the Ministry of Home Affairs and chaired by Secretary for Border Management in the national capital on Thursday.
The development works would include welfare programmes like establishment of schools, hospitals and other facilities for the inhabitants of the nearby affected villages, he said.
He said that the Centre had already released Rs 14.21 crore for north-western Mamit district for the same purpose while the Detailed Project Report (DPR) for south Mizoram�s Lunglei district to the tune of Rs 44 crore was also submitted.
A large number of families were displaced and many people lost their lands as the Indo-Bangladesh border fencing was erected at a stretch of 150 metres inside Indian territory from the actual border. This fencing was part of the 318-km-long Indo-Myanmar border at the Mizoram sector. � PTI