Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

RGI silent on publication of final NRC, HC told

By STAFF REPORTER
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

GUWAHATI, Dec 11 - All the �anomalies� have been reported to the Registrar General of India (RGI) in February this year seeking necessary directions for corrective measures in the interest of an error-free NRC, NRC State Coordinator Hitesh Dev Sarma told the Gauhati High Court in an affidavit.

But no directions have been communicated by the RGI on the anomalies reported, he said in the affidavit, adding that rather instructions have been received for the issuance of rejection slips and winding up of the operation of updating the NRC.

The RGI is also silent on the publication of the final NRC for which it is the only authority to take action, he said.

Hearing a writ petition filed by one Rahima Khatun from Nalbari, the high court had asked the NRC State Coordinator to file a comprehensive affidavit and �bring on record the situation along with necessary particulars, whereby inroads into the NRC may have been created by individuals who are undeserving and not legally entitled to be included�.

Citing several instances, Sarma concluded that there are names of undeserving persons in the draft NRC as well as in the supplementary list of NRC.

�� considering the fact that 1,02,462 names were deleted through �incidental verification� of 27 per cent, one definitely cannot ignore the remaining 73 per cent unverified results where there may be 2.77 lakh undeserving names in the NRC going by the same arithmetic,� Sarma said.

Absence of quality check in the �Original Inhabitant� marking and the family tree matching might be the main reason for the inclusion of such undeserving names in the draft NRC and the supplementary list where some delinquent officers got a free hand to upload wrong results of verification into the database, he said.

�Secondly, the system of back-end verification was done away with in the DMIT (district magistrate investigation team) verification phase, where officers were allowed to take decisions on unverified documents and documents initially rejected in a subjective way instead of rigorous back-end verification followed in the earlier stage, raising serious doubts on the correctness of such decisions,� he stated.

He further stated that thirdly, a large number of undeserving persons� names might get into NRC in future for not following the norms of quasi-judicial norms.

The affidavit also raised doubts on the software used for the update process.

The software (Family Tree Matching Software) was prepared in such a manner that as soon as the data were uploaded, the data vanished from the laptop screen of the verification officer and became no longer available for any quality-check by supervising officer in order to ascertain whether the matching of manual family trees was done properly or not, the affidavit stated, also noting that in the Linkage Verification Result Review System Software, there was no option to make any correction of probable mistakes done by the officers of the home NSKs, thus making the process infructuous and vitiating the entire purpose of the software.

More in Entertainment
Next Story
Similar Posts
RGI silent on publication of final NRC, HC told

GUWAHATI, Dec 11 - All the �anomalies� have been reported to the Registrar General of India (RGI) in February this year seeking necessary directions for corrective measures in the interest of an error-free NRC, NRC State Coordinator Hitesh Dev Sarma told the Gauhati High Court in an affidavit.

But no directions have been communicated by the RGI on the anomalies reported, he said in the affidavit, adding that rather instructions have been received for the issuance of rejection slips and winding up of the operation of updating the NRC.

The RGI is also silent on the publication of the final NRC for which it is the only authority to take action, he said.

Hearing a writ petition filed by one Rahima Khatun from Nalbari, the high court had asked the NRC State Coordinator to file a comprehensive affidavit and �bring on record the situation along with necessary particulars, whereby inroads into the NRC may have been created by individuals who are undeserving and not legally entitled to be included�.

Citing several instances, Sarma concluded that there are names of undeserving persons in the draft NRC as well as in the supplementary list of NRC.

�� considering the fact that 1,02,462 names were deleted through �incidental verification� of 27 per cent, one definitely cannot ignore the remaining 73 per cent unverified results where there may be 2.77 lakh undeserving names in the NRC going by the same arithmetic,� Sarma said.

Absence of quality check in the �Original Inhabitant� marking and the family tree matching might be the main reason for the inclusion of such undeserving names in the draft NRC and the supplementary list where some delinquent officers got a free hand to upload wrong results of verification into the database, he said.

�Secondly, the system of back-end verification was done away with in the DMIT (district magistrate investigation team) verification phase, where officers were allowed to take decisions on unverified documents and documents initially rejected in a subjective way instead of rigorous back-end verification followed in the earlier stage, raising serious doubts on the correctness of such decisions,� he stated.

He further stated that thirdly, a large number of undeserving persons� names might get into NRC in future for not following the norms of quasi-judicial norms.

The affidavit also raised doubts on the software used for the update process.

The software (Family Tree Matching Software) was prepared in such a manner that as soon as the data were uploaded, the data vanished from the laptop screen of the verification officer and became no longer available for any quality-check by supervising officer in order to ascertain whether the matching of manual family trees was done properly or not, the affidavit stated, also noting that in the Linkage Verification Result Review System Software, there was no option to make any correction of probable mistakes done by the officers of the home NSKs, thus making the process infructuous and vitiating the entire purpose of the software.

More in Entertainment
Similar Posts