DIMAPUR, May 13 - People belonging to Nagaland, who were stranded in other parts of the North East, have reached the State in two groups. The first batch of 11 people reached the Agri Expo site here by bus on Tuesday evening, while the second batch comprising 20 people arrived here in four buses from Jorhat, Mariani and Titabor in neighbouring Assam today.
After their arrival at the reception centre at the Agri Expo, the first batch of returnees belonging to the Jain community filled up forms and underwent screening in the medical facility centre at the site. They were provided dinner after completion of the formalities.
These returnees have been quarantined at the Jain Bhavan in Marwari Patti, which was approved of by the district administration and the medical department as it fulfils all criteria.
After going through the necessary protocols, the second batch was also sent to other quarantine centres here. Altogether 23 quarantine centres have been set up in Dimapur district so far.
Agriculture Production Commissioner Kikheto Sema, who is the Dimapur in-charge for COVID-19 related activities, along with Dimapur Deputy Commissioner Anoop Kinchi, Commissioner of Police Rothihu Tetseo, Principal Director, Health and Family Welfare, Vizolie Z Soukhrie, and officials of the medical department visited the Agri Expo site this morning to oversee the logistics for receiving the returnees.
Sema lauded the Jain community and other non-Nagas for taking responsibility for stranded people of their community. He said the Dimapur district would receive all the returnees from the State at the initial stages, and sought cooperation of all civil organisations in this regard.
New rules for stranded: The Nagaland Government is working on a new standard operating procedure for State returnees from other parts of the country. In a release, Nagaland Chief Secretary Temjen Toy said that the State Government had been making detailed plans to bring in people of the State, who are stranded outside in a �staggered manner� keeping in view the limited quarantine infrastructure and other resources. However, the Centre�s May 11 announcement on introduction and resumption of special train services from Delhi and other major cities has thrown these plans out of gear, he added.
Toy said that under these circumstances, the State Government has decided to give first priority to stranded senior citizens and patients, distressed persons and those facing difficulties for repatriation to the State. The Government has also decided to give Rs 10,000 to those citizens who opt to stay where they are at present outside the State.
Toy pointed out that systems have also been put in place to check fraudulent claims. He said several civil societies, tribal Hohos and NGOs have appealed to citizens stranded or staying outside not to return at this juncture unless it is unavoidable.
The State Government appreciated these appeals in view of the fact that the States which are bringing in stranded people from affected parts of the country, have seen an increase in COVID-19 positive cases.
�This is therefore a matter of great concern and a challenge for Nagaland which has fortunately remained COVID-19 free so far,� Toy added.