GUWAHATI, Aug 30 - Property worth lakhs of rupees was damaged in two fires that broke out in the city today. The first incident took place around 9 am in Latasil area while the second was reported around noon at Ulubari.
At Latasil, the fire broke out on the third floor of a four-storeyed building. Sources from the fire and emergency service said the fire started in an office of the JCB Company. Computers, Xerox machines, printers and ACs were damaged.
�The fire was caused due to an electric short-circuit and was doused by three fire-tenders from the Guwahati Central and the Chandmari fire service stations. The building is owned by Dr Bikram Bujarbarua and property worth around Rs 3 lakh was damaged in the incident,� said Jayashri Khersa, an official of the Assam fire and emergency service.
In the second incident at BK Kakoti Road at Ulubari, four shops and six huts were gutted in a fire that took place near the Assam Police headquarters. The shops included a stationery cum grocery shop, a tea shop and an automobile garage.
�The fire started from a kerosene stove used by a resident of a hut for cooking. The fire turned into a massive one after an LPG cylinder burst in an adjacent hut. Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident. But, it damaged a large amount of property,� a resident said.
Meanwhile, an irate mob allegedly attacked a woman reporter of a city-based news channel who was present there to cover the incident. The four-wheeler vehicle carrying the reporter and her crew members was also partly damaged. A complaint was filed by the journalist at the Paltan Bazar Police Station.
�A case has been registered based on her complaint alleging physical assault and destruction of property. Till now, we have not been able to trace any of the persons whose names have been mentioned in the complaint,� said Dharani Barman, OC, Paltan Bazar PS.