Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Only 21 per cent of irrigation scheme completed in 10 yrs

By Staff Reporter

GUWAHATI, July 29 - Only 21 per cent of the Nanoi-Buwati irrigation scheme in Sipajhar has been completed in ten years.

Details of the pathetic state of the irrigation schemes emerged in the State Assembly, with legislators even wondering if the schemes were sanctioned only to benefit contractors.

Ruling party MLA Binanda Kumar Saikia today sought to know the progress of the irrigation scheme in Sipajhar. He stated in his question that work on the scheme had started in 2008-09 and when will it be completed. Nearly Rs 14 crore has been spent on the scheme so far.

Irrigation Minister Bhabesh Kalita said in his reply that only 21 per cent of the scheme has been completed so far. Further, in the year 2019-20, a proposal has been moved under SOPD (State�s Own Priority Development) scheme to sanction an amount of Rs 44 crore to complete the scheme.

Saikia rued that he has been raising the issue of the scheme in the Assembly for several years now, but the response from the government has not been satisfactory. �Last time when I raised the issue, I was told that progress of the scheme is 41 per cent. Which is true, 41 or 21 per cent? Will the farmers ever get any water from the scheme? I feel there should be a thorough probe into the matter and people involved in wasting crores of public money brought to book,� the local MLA said.

The minister admitted that the scheme has been languishing for quite long. �In fact, contractors were changed thrice. We will order an inquiry and if lapses are found action will be taken accordingly,� Kalita said.

He said the additional chief engineer has been asked to inquire about the progress of the scheme. �After he submits the report, we will take a call on whether we should continue with the scheme or abandon it,� the minister said.

More in Entertainment
Next Story
Similar Posts
Only 21 per cent of irrigation scheme completed in 10 yrs

GUWAHATI, July 29 - Only 21 per cent of the Nanoi-Buwati irrigation scheme in Sipajhar has been completed in ten years.

Details of the pathetic state of the irrigation schemes emerged in the State Assembly, with legislators even wondering if the schemes were sanctioned only to benefit contractors.

Ruling party MLA Binanda Kumar Saikia today sought to know the progress of the irrigation scheme in Sipajhar. He stated in his question that work on the scheme had started in 2008-09 and when will it be completed. Nearly Rs 14 crore has been spent on the scheme so far.

Irrigation Minister Bhabesh Kalita said in his reply that only 21 per cent of the scheme has been completed so far. Further, in the year 2019-20, a proposal has been moved under SOPD (State�s Own Priority Development) scheme to sanction an amount of Rs 44 crore to complete the scheme.

Saikia rued that he has been raising the issue of the scheme in the Assembly for several years now, but the response from the government has not been satisfactory. �Last time when I raised the issue, I was told that progress of the scheme is 41 per cent. Which is true, 41 or 21 per cent? Will the farmers ever get any water from the scheme? I feel there should be a thorough probe into the matter and people involved in wasting crores of public money brought to book,� the local MLA said.

The minister admitted that the scheme has been languishing for quite long. �In fact, contractors were changed thrice. We will order an inquiry and if lapses are found action will be taken accordingly,� Kalita said.

He said the additional chief engineer has been asked to inquire about the progress of the scheme. �After he submits the report, we will take a call on whether we should continue with the scheme or abandon it,� the minister said.

More in Entertainment
Similar Posts