SILCHAR FEB 28: Even as firefighters were able to bring the fire which broke out at a shop in the Panpatty area of Silchar on Saturday, under control at around midnight, flames are yet to be doused.
Sources in the fire and emergency services informed on Sunday morning that over 20 fire engines from different parts of Barak Valley including ONGC and Silchar airport had to rush to the spot to bring the situation under control.
However, the flames had engulfed the godown of a shoe store and adjacent establishments. Sources claimed that a short circuit might have caused the fire. Senior officials from District Administration and Police along with CRPF were on the spot to keep the situation under check.
It may be mentioned that at around 7:45 pm flames coming out of a shop opposite to the office of Assam Power Distribution Company Limited office were seen following which flames swept briskly across the nearby buildings.
Deputy Commissioner Keerthi Jalli who had rushed to the spot along with Cachar SP BL Meena informed the media that people surrounding the affected spot have been asked to vacate and LPG cylinders used in the nearby establishments have been removed on priority.