SHILLONG, June 2 - Night curfew has been imposed in Shillong from 10 pm to 5 am and the Army is on standby in view of the �serious breakdown of law and order in Shillong city (Motphran, Mawkhar and adjoining areas)� that has disrupted normal life for the second consecutive day.
Shops have remained closed in most parts of the state capital and there were few vehicles seen on the road.
The East Khasi Hills district administration has imposed night curfew as the situation has shown no signs of improvement with stone-pelting still continuing in Motphran and its adjoining areas, while the police are trying to control the mob with tear gas.
�There is likelihood of serious breach of peace across the city which may lead to acts of arson targeting vehicles and causing loss of life and property. Night curfew is being imposed with immediate effect and until further orders,� the district administration said in its order.
Moreover, under Section 144 of the CrPC, sale of petrol, diesel, etc., in jerrycans, bottles and any other containers to members of the public by petrol pumps within East Khasi Hills district has been banned.
On the other hand, the Army has been kept on the standby and the state government has sought from the Centre twelve companies of BSF and six companies of CRPF to bring in normalcy.
Last evening, Superintendent of Police (City) Stephen Rynjah sustained injuries in the stone-pelting incident. He was rushed to the hospital. Several people also sustained injuries. The Army was later called in which conducted flag march in certain pockets of the state capital to bring normalcy, IGP H Nongpluh said.
Meanwhile, defence PRO Wing Commander Ratanakar said on the requisition of the state administration, the Army carried out flag march at 10:45 pm on Friday in disturbed areas of Shillong under the command and control of Lt Gen DS Ahuja, GOC 101 Area.
�Over 100 fully armed troops and eight vehicles were deployed in the flag march, which helped to bring the situation under control. No more flag marches have been planned by the Army,� the defence official said.
He added that on Friday evening, over 300 civilians, including 200 women and children, from the disturbed area walked into the Army cantonment to take shelter. They were later escorted to Rhino Training Centre at Garrison Ground where they were provided with food, water and blankets by the Army, to stay overnight. They left the cantonment area later in the morning.
PTI adds: Four persons, accused of being involved in the assault of three local boys, have been arrested, authorities said. As many as 11 people have been picked up in connection with the case so far.
Meanwhile, suspension of Internet services has been extended by 24 hours till tomorrow afternoon to prevent rumour-mongering.