Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Mizoram reports 2 new COVID-19 cases

By Correspondent

AIZAWL, July 19 - With two more cases reported, Mizoram�s tally for COVID-19 today rose to 284. Of the 148 samples tested at Zoram Medical College lab in Aizawl on Saturday, two men were confirmed to be positive, an official statement said today.

It added that the two are non-locals, aged 27 and 46, who were under institutional quarantine and asymptomatic. They returned from outside Mizoram. With this, Mizoram has a 284 COVID-19 cases, of which 117 are active and 167 are recovered cases.

Aizawl district has the highest number of active cases at 77, followed by Lunglei with 16 cases, Lawngtlai with 13 cases, Serchhip four cases, Siaha and Champhai three cases each and one in Mamit district. Kolasib, Khawzawl, Hnahthial and Saitual districts are presently virus-free.

Curfew clamped in Aizawl neighbourhood: Curfew was clamped in Salem Veng neighbourhood in Aizawl after a person, under quarantine at R Dengthuama Hall at the locality who tested positive for coronavirus, was found to have sneaked out of the facility and bought things from a shop.

A Myanmarese national, who tested positive last Friday night, had ventured out of the quarantine facility and bought things from a shop at Salem Veng locality before his result was declared. Salem Veng local task force on COVID-19 secretary K Lalrinmawia said that 13 Myanmarese nationals who returned from Delhi were quarantined at R Dengthuama Hall. They were sent to Champhai town near Myanmar border on Friday before their test results were out.

According to a local secretary, at least 15 samples from Salem Veng locality were collected on Saturday and test results were awaited. �Curfew will not be lifted until all primary contacts of the positive person test negative,� he said.

The local task force, as well as the local people, was extremely unhappy with the police personnel who guard the quarantine facility.

�We implore the police personnel to be more alert no to allow any more such incident. They should have stood guard 24 hours,� the local secretary said.

Next Story