SHILLONG, June 2 � Working journalists in Meghalaya today decided to move the Press Council of India and other higher authorities against the recent High Court order which restrained the media from publicising the statement by organisations calling bandhs, strike, hartals, road blockade and also holding rallies.
�We have unanimously decided to move the Press Council of India and the other higher authorities available against the High Court ruling which will have a greater ramification in the role and functions of the media in a democratic State,� Shillong Press Club president D Laitphlang said.
He said the decision was unanimously taken at an emergent meeting convened by the Club here.
A full bench of the High Court, comprising Chief Justice Uma Nath Singh, Justice T Nandakumar Singh and Justice SR Sen, banned the media from carrying statements on agitations with �unlawful design� while responding to a plea made by the Director General of Police, Rajiv Mehta, to restrain media from carrying statements of outlawed HNLC and other organisations calling bandhs and other forms of agitations.
Stating that calling of bandhs infringe on the fundamental rights of the citizens, inter alia, under Articles 19 and 21 of the Constitution, the court held the organisers and sponsors of such bandh be held liable under the law to recoup and make good the loss and damages.
The Court was hearing a writ petition filed by the Registrar General of the Court against the State government on the effect of a bandh called by HNLC, an outlawed militant outfit, last week. � PTI