GAURIPUR, Feb 3: Historic Madan Mohan Temple, popularly known as Madan Mohan Kunja Bihari Temple, was established by Raja Prabhat Chandra Barua, father of legendary filmmaker Pramathesh Barua during the period 1895-96 near his royal palace. He constructed the temple keeping in mind the model of Madan Mohan Temple of Coochbehar established by Maharaja Nripendra Narayan during the period 1885-1889 and Rajmata Nishimayee Devi inaugurated the temple on March 21, 1890.
Dr Kamakhya Prasad Roy of Gauripur donated the idol of Madan Mohan for the purpose of daily rituals. Hundreds of devotees thronged the temple premises and offered puja for blessings.
During the reign of Raja Prabhat Chandra Barua, the temple was the centre of attraction not only to local people, but devotees came from other parts of the State and West Bengal.
Daul Utsav, Raas festival, Janmastami and other festivals were celebrated under the auspices of the Royal family. A big Daul Griha was also constructed on the bank of the famous Mahamaya tank and the Griha was fully decorated for the Daul Utsav. Presently, only the floor of the Daul Griha exits.
After abolition of Zamindari system in 1957, the glory of the Madan Mohan Temple has gradually faded. Due to negligence of the divided family members of the Royal family, the temple was badly damaged and was abandoned for long. Dilip Gogoi and his wife Subashree Gogoi, relatives of the Royal family, renovated the dilapidated temple, but it could not be completed and daily rituals could not be carried out. The devotees of greater Gauripur area have demanded that the State government should come forward to revive the past glory of the temple without further delay, otherwise the temple will surely become archaeological site.