GUWAHATI, June 12 - State cabinet Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma was today unanimously elected as the president of the Assam Cricket Association (ACA) while his fellow BJP party leader Pradip Buragohain too was elected uncontested as secretary during the ACA�s annual general meeting held at the Barsapara cricket stadium here.
Although there were speculations that for some posts election will be held, but the Sunday�s AGM witnessed no contests for any posts and all the members of the governing council were elected unopposed.
Regarding the immediate goals, Sarma said: �The remaining ten percent of work left in the stadium needs to be completed. I will take Gautam Roy alongside and within a short span of time we should be able to get it done. ACA will be clean from now on and I can assure you that new days are coming and along with ex-players and our well wishers we will work towards the development of the game in the state.�
�It�s a very good committee and all are experienced people and we have a very dynamic leader as the president. Within two days there will be a meeting where the new committee will discuss on developing cricket in the State as well as the infrastructure. We will try to promote players at the national level. Almost 90 percent of the construction work at the Barsapara stadium is completed and the remaining 10 percent will be completed within August. We have a sports loving Chief Minister and we are very much optimistic that he will help us. We will try to host an international match next as soon the stadium is completely ready. We are also hopeful that we will receive assistance and guidance from the BCCI president Anurag Thakur,� said Pradip Buragohain.
However, Himanta Biswa Sarma�s tenure at the helm may not be of full duration if Lodha Committee�s recommendations of �any minister or government employee not holding any designation in BCCI� are implemented.
The newly formed body: Chief patron: Sarbananda Sonowal; Patrons: Gautam Roy, Naba Doley; President: Himanta Biswa Sarma; Vice Presidents: Babul Hore, Romen Dutta, Parikhit Dutta, Anil Bora, Niloy Dutta, Rihan Daimary, Devajit Saikia; Secretary: Pradip Buragohain; Treasurer: Manindra Nath Saikia, Joint Secretaries: Ajoy Kr Sarma, Sanjib Handique, Muktabul Hussain; Assistant Secretaries: Kamakhya Saikia, Imdad Hussain, Sushanta Biswa Sarma, Sujit Chowdhury; Secretary umpire�s board: Parimal Sinha; GB members: Sanatan Das, Amol Barua, Biswanath Saha, Ratul Teron, Prakash Deka, Pradip Kr Hazarika, Dr Achyut Borthakur, Rajesh Bora, Bhakti Medhi, Dr Brojen Gohain, Pranabjit Chaliha, Bikash Baruah (Ex-Offico Member), Ghanashyam Baruah (Ex-Offico Member).