GUWAHATI, June 11 - The State Health department has decided to introduce free hemo-dialysis facilities in as many as 18 Government hospitals as part of the Pradhan Mantri National Dialysis Programme under the National Health Mission. As per the public-private partnership, Apollo Hospitals will be responsible for execution of the programme. Apollo Hospitals will be paid Rs 1,296 for each dialysis session in the first year by the Government and the rate will increase by 8 per cent after each year till the completion of the contract.
The Government has signed the agreement with Apollo Hospitals Enterprise Limited for a period of five years.
While 90 per cent of the cost would be borne by the Centre, the State Government would spend the remaining 10 per cent.
Alongside, the Government has also vouched for a study by the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) to ascertain whether the chemical residue used for commercial vegetation in Lower and Central Assam is triggering the rise in the number of patients suffering from kidney-related ailments.
Talking to media persons, Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that the first free dialysis service will begin at Nalbari�s Swahid Mukanda Kakati Civil Hospital followed by another seven hospitals in the State, which will be covered by June 20. These hospitals include Darrang�s Mangaldai Civil Hospital, Sonitpur�s Kanaklata Civil Hospital, Tezpur Medical College and Hospital, Tinsukia�s LGB Civil Hospital, Morigaon Civil Hospital, Barpeta Medical College and Hospital and Bongaigaon District Hospital.
In the next six months, ten more medical set ups would have similar facilities, taking the total number of hospitals offering free dialysis to 18.
�The first session of providing free dialysis was done in Nalbari recently after which the decision to introduce the scheme was taken,� the Minister said.