Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Govt to go ahead with Rs 640-cr suit against Nestle

By The Assam Tribune
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

NEW DELHI, Aug 16 - Unfazed by the Bombay High Court order quashing the ban on Maggi noodles, Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan has said the verdict does not alter the grounds on which it has claimed Rs 640 crore in damages from Nestle for misleading advertisement and unfair trade practices.

Nestle India got a reprieve last week from the High Court which lifted the ban slapped by food regulators on nine variants of the popular instant noodles across the country and asked the company to go for fresh tests of the product.

On behalf of the consumers, the Food and Consumer Affairs Ministry separately filed a Class Action Suit against Nestle India before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) last week, using a hitherto unused provision in the three-decade-old Consumer Protection Act.

Stating that the High Court order would not alter the grounds on which the case has been filed at NCDRC, Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said the Government would not withdraw its petition.

The case, wherein the Centre has claimed damages worth Rs 640 crore, is likely to come up for hearing tomorrow. � PTI

Next Story
Similar Posts
Govt to go ahead with Rs 640-cr suit against Nestle

NEW DELHI, Aug 16 - Unfazed by the Bombay High Court order quashing the ban on Maggi noodles, Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan has said the verdict does not alter the grounds on which it has claimed Rs 640 crore in damages from Nestle for misleading advertisement and unfair trade practices.

Nestle India got a reprieve last week from the High Court which lifted the ban slapped by food regulators on nine variants of the popular instant noodles across the country and asked the company to go for fresh tests of the product.

On behalf of the consumers, the Food and Consumer Affairs Ministry separately filed a Class Action Suit against Nestle India before the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) last week, using a hitherto unused provision in the three-decade-old Consumer Protection Act.

Stating that the High Court order would not alter the grounds on which the case has been filed at NCDRC, Food and Consumer Affairs Minister Ram Vilas Paswan said the Government would not withdraw its petition.

The case, wherein the Centre has claimed damages worth Rs 640 crore, is likely to come up for hearing tomorrow. � PTI