GUWAHATI, Aug 7 � Fresh incidences of violence prompted Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to recommend a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the ethnic clashes in BTAD areas, which till date has claimed 73 lives, besides rendering several hundred homeless.
Talking to media persons at a press conference here, Gogoi said, �It appears that several forces, both internal and external, are behind the disturbances. The CBI probe has been recommended to identify and punish the forces behind the disturbances...�
�Earlier, too, I had vouched for a CBI probe which the then Union Home Minister did not endorse,� Gogoi said.
The Chief Minister further informed that the number of relief camps has reduced from 340 to 245 after over one lakh people returned to their homes.
�I have asked the Chief Secretary to deal with the incident firmly. Illegal arms should be seized and if required, preventive arrests should also be made,� the Chief Minister said, divulging that so far 171 persons have been arrested in connection with the violence.
Further, 309 cases have been registered and the special investigating team has been constituted to investigate six important cases.
The State government has also requested the Centre to allow CBI to take over all the cases
Giving an account of the latest incidences of violence, Gogoi said that he himself is reviewing the situation constantly as there is still a sense of insecurity prevailing in the minds of the people.
Replying to a query, Gogoi said that the antecedents of the people will be checked before making them the beneficiary of the rehabilitation process.
�Only those displaced will be entitled to rehabilitation. However, all the inmates would be provided relief materials and other aid� he asserted.