KALAIGAON, Aug 23 - One Jinti Kalita (8), a Class-III student of Pub Paneri HS School here, died on August 21 at Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) due to suspected food poisoning.
Sources said the girl along with hundreds of women and children took part in a �naam prasanga� organised by one Nakul Patowari of Paneri, at the Pub-Paneri Bishnu Mandir on August 17.
After the consumption of �laddus�, made from home-made rice powder (pithaguri), many of the women and children started feeling sick. Several children and women developed serious complications and were immediately rushed to various hospitals located at Tangla, Udalguri, Mangaldai and Guwahati on August 18 in critical conditions.
After the death of Jinti Kalita, local people assembled near the house of Nakul Patowari who had organised the religious function at the Pub-Paneri Bishnu Mandir. The agitated people started attacking the family of four in the afternoon but the timely intervention by police saved the family from public outrage.
However, the police detained all the members of the family on security ground.
According to latest information available with this correspondent, health conditions of three children � Dibyajyoti Lahkar, Biswajit Lahkar and Dhritiman Sarma � are still critical and all of them are undergoing treatment at GMCH. One Bhabindra Patowari (70) is also undergoing treatment at Apollo Hospital in Guwahati.