SHILLONG, June 9: After four more persons tested positive for COVID-19, the Meghalaya Government today reversed its earlier decision and put on hold the scheduled reopening of religious institutions in the State from June 14.
During the past 24 hours, four COVID-19 cases have been detected, taking the total active cases in Meghalaya to 26. The total cases in the State has touched 40 with 13 recoveries and one death.
Out of the four new patients, three are from Jowai in West Jaintia Hills district and the fourth is a senior citizen who came from Ri-Bhoi district and had been quarantined here.
Chief Minister Conrad Sangma, in a tweet, said: �An elderly citizen who had come from Ri-Bhoi District has tested positive for COVID 19. The person was isolated on arrival and is presently in Shillong. Person is stable and under supervision.� The other three cases are returnees who came from
New Delhi recently. They have all been quarantined at Jowai.
Meanwhile, Sangma again held a meeting with religious leaders today. It would not be prudent to open places of worship at the moment, the meeting decided.
�Based on the consultation with different religious organisations this afternoon, the Government has decided to put on hold the reopening of religious institutions in Meghalaya, that was previously decided for June 14,� the Chief Minister said.