KALAIGAON, Dec 21 - In a tragic incident, a male wild elephant was electrocuted in Udalguri district on Wednesday night.
According to information, a 25-year-old male wild elephant died at Singrimari village near Khagrabari in Udalguri district when it came in contact with a loosely hung 11 KV power line while it was being chased away by villagers.
So far several wild elephants have been killed in Assam due to electrocution posing a great threat to the wild elephant population.
In most of the villages, high tension live wires hanging loosely have become death traps not only for wild elephants but for human beings too. Wildlife activists of the district have expressed anger over the frequent deaths of wild elephants and human beings because of the careless and irresponsible attitude of the ASEB.
Wildlife activists of the district and Udalguri District Journalists� Union have demanded the Forest department to lodge an FIR against the ASEB. It�s worth mentioning here that so far 11 wild elephants have died in the district in 2017.