GUWAHATI, Aug 7 - Though no untoward incident has been reported from any part of Assam after the publication of the complete draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), the Central and State governments have been constantly monitoring the situation in the State. A high-level committee has also been formed to review the situation on a daily basis.
Talking to The Assam Tribune, Special Director General of Police (Special Branch), Pallab Bhattacharya said that regular meetings are being held between Delhi and Dispur on the situation in the State. He said that so far, the State remained peaceful and police and security forces have not received any disturbing inputs from any part of the State. He, however, asserted that the police and security forces deployed on the ground would not lower their guards, at least for the time being.
Bhattacharya revealed that as per the directive of the Centre, a high-level committee headed by the Chief Secretary has been formed to monitor the situation on day to day basis. The other members of the committee include the Director General of Police, Special DG of Special Branch, State NRC Coordinator and senior officials of the home department and police. The committee is meeting almost daily to monitor the situation and the deputy commissioners and superintendents of police of all the districts have been directed to send daily reports to the committee. At the same time, the police control rooms of all the districts have also been asked to send reports daily so that a close watch can be maintained on the overall situation.
The security cover of the NRC Seva Kendras has not been lowered after the publication of the draft NRC as the process of updating the citizenship document is still on. The State has 2,500 such Seva Kendras where the people can visit to check their names in the hard copies of the draft NRC and they can also meet the officers in-charge there to know the reasons if their names are left out. The process of filing of claims and objections in the Kendras will start from August 30 and that�s why the security cover of these centres has been maintained. The additional forces deployed in the vulnerable areas have also not been withdrawn.