NEW DELHI, April 11 - The number of coronavirus cases in the country could have increased to 8.2 lakh by April 15 had India not implemented a lockdown and other containment measures, the Union Health Ministry said on Saturday.
Addressing a daily briefing on the coronavirus situation of the country, Joint Secretary in the Health Ministry Lav Agarwal said the country has taken early preemptive action to identify COVID-19 hotspots, along with implementing other containment measures.
Meanwhile, in its most recent update, the Union Health Ministry placed the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country at 7,529 and the death toll at 242. The ministry said that 653 people have so far recovered from the infection.
However, a PTI tally of numbers reported by various states as on 8:30 pm showed at least 8,059 positive coronavirus cases and 264 deaths. More than 800 people have been cured and discharged so far.
Fresh cases were reported from various places, including in Maharashtra, Delhi, Jammu and Kashmir, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
�According to a statistical analysis by us, India would have registered a 41 per cent cumulative rise in the number of cases, taking the total to 2.08 lakh on April 11 and 8.2 lakh by April 15 had there been no lockdown or other containment measures,� Agarwal said.
With containment measures but no lockdown, the number of cases could have risen to 1.2 lakh till April 15 and to 45,370 on April 11 at 28.9 per cent growth rate, he added.
Stressing on the importance of social distancing, lockdown and other efforts in the battle against coronavirus, Agarwal said, �Since we started promoting social distancing and implemented lockdown from March 25 along with other containment measures, there has been a decrease in cases.� � PTI