SHILLONG, June 10 - Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad Sangma today held a meeting with his Cabinet colleagues to discuss the rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in the State. The active cases in Meghalaya currently stand at 30.
�In light of new COVID19 cases surfacing in the State, a meeting was convened with Ministers and officials to discuss the matter,� Sangma tweeted. The Chief Minister held the meeting after four persons tested positive during the past 24 hours.
�Three more residents who returned to the State from Delhi and Chennai have tested positive for COVID19. All of them are under quarantine and are asymptomatic. One high risk contact of a positive patient has tested positive for COVID19 in Shillong. Person is under medical supervision,� Sangma tweeted.
Meanwhile, immediately after the meeting, Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong claimed that Meghalaya has a �foolproof system� in place to contain the spread of the virus. �The State does not have community transmission. We have a system in place which is very much successful,� he stressed.
Tynsong stated that a village in Ri-Bhoi district has been declared a containment zone after a 70-year-old person who travelled from the village to the State capital, tested positive.
The Deputy Chief Minister said that 40 persons from the village have been tested and found negative. More contact tracing of this elderly person is on. Tynsong said that the villagers have been put under quarantine for 14 days.
Meanwhile, 14,443 returnees have entered the State so far. Tynsong said that 2,000 or more people are likely to come back soon. He added that all the returnees are being tested and put into home, institutional or community quarantine centres.
He urged everyone to adhere to the existing health protocols to stop the spread of the virus. The lockdown will continue till the end of this month, but with relaxations, the Deputy Chief Minister said.