NEW DELHI, Dec 14 (IANS): Dismissing perceptions of threat following reports that Beijing was building a military base in the Indian Ocean, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday said his government didn't believe China would attack India.
"Our government does not share the view that China will attack India," Manmohan Singh said in the Lok Sabha.
He was replying to a question on reports that the Chinese were creating a resupply port in Seychelles near the Indian Ocean island nation for navy ships taking part in anti-piracy operations off Africa. Beijing has rejected the reports that this would end up in a military base.
Manmohan Singh played down the threat perception and said the boundary between India and China has remained "by and large" peaceful.
He admitted that not much progress was made on the border dispute with China but assured the house that he had been assured by "highest level" Chinese officials on "maintaining peace and tranquillity with India".