Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

BJP fears violence during election

By Staff Reporter

GUWAHATI, March 15 � The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Assam Pradesh on Tuesday condemned yesterday�s attack on Rajiv Bhawan here in which five Congress men were injured and expressed the apprehension that the ensuing Assembly elections might not be free and fair.

Addressing mediapersons here, State BJP functionaries pointed an accusing finger at Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for inclusion of the names of 10 persons with criminal charges against them in the Congress candidates list.

�It is a matter of utter shame that even after assurances of full security by the government, the ULFA could strike again,� said Vijay Kumar Gupta, spokesperson of the State BJP. He said that the incident has proved the inefficiency of the Home Minister and the intelligence cell of the government. �The State Government has totally failed on the law and order front. Moreover this incident has made the public fearful and a free and fair election has become doubtful,� he added. Gupta insisted that the State Government improve its intelligence cell and request for more Central security forces to instill confidence in the voters.

�We also demand of the Election Commission to ensure a violence-free election atmosphere in the State so that voters regain their confidence,� said Gupta.

On the other hand, the BJP reminded Tarun Gogoi that he had been loud enough in the press interviews that the Congress will not give candidature to persons with criminal charges. �But out of the 118 candidates declared by the Congress, 10 persons have criminal charges against them. They are Debabrata Saikia, Mahibul Haque, Siddique Ahmed, Jayanta Das, Inamul Haque, Sanjay Rai Subba, Dr Tarapat Das, Suresh Bora and Piyush Hazarika,� said Gupta. The BJP demanded of Gogoi to keep his promise to the people of Assam by ensuring that the candidature of all persons with criminal charges is withdrawn.

Next Story
Similar Posts
BJP fears violence during election

GUWAHATI, March 15 � The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Assam Pradesh on Tuesday condemned yesterday�s attack on Rajiv Bhawan here in which five Congress men were injured and expressed the apprehension that the ensuing Assembly elections might not be free and fair.

Addressing mediapersons here, State BJP functionaries pointed an accusing finger at Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi for inclusion of the names of 10 persons with criminal charges against them in the Congress candidates list.

�It is a matter of utter shame that even after assurances of full security by the government, the ULFA could strike again,� said Vijay Kumar Gupta, spokesperson of the State BJP. He said that the incident has proved the inefficiency of the Home Minister and the intelligence cell of the government. �The State Government has totally failed on the law and order front. Moreover this incident has made the public fearful and a free and fair election has become doubtful,� he added. Gupta insisted that the State Government improve its intelligence cell and request for more Central security forces to instill confidence in the voters.

�We also demand of the Election Commission to ensure a violence-free election atmosphere in the State so that voters regain their confidence,� said Gupta.

On the other hand, the BJP reminded Tarun Gogoi that he had been loud enough in the press interviews that the Congress will not give candidature to persons with criminal charges. �But out of the 118 candidates declared by the Congress, 10 persons have criminal charges against them. They are Debabrata Saikia, Mahibul Haque, Siddique Ahmed, Jayanta Das, Inamul Haque, Sanjay Rai Subba, Dr Tarapat Das, Suresh Bora and Piyush Hazarika,� said Gupta. The BJP demanded of Gogoi to keep his promise to the people of Assam by ensuring that the candidature of all persons with criminal charges is withdrawn.