ITANAGAR, June 4 � In a significant move, the Arunachal Cabinet headed by Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Wednesday decided �to conduct review and inspection of all schemes� being implemented under the North Eastern Council (NEC), Non-Lapsable Central Pool of Resources (NLCPR), and the State as well as Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS).
This �development� comes after Union Minister for DoNER, Dr Jitendra Singh, had on May 25 last ordered a probe into alleged embezzlement, misappropriation, corruption and siphoning of government funds to the tune of over Rs 900 crore in Arunachal Pradesh through various Centrally-sponsored schemes related to NLCPR and NEC.
The inquiry had been ordered in response to a representation submitted by 11 MLAs from Arunachal, who alleged that the State government was responsible for misuse and misappropriation of Central funds released against projects sanctioned during 2011-12 to 2014-15.
While divulging the Cabinet decision, government spokesperson Bamang Felix today said that the review and inspection of schemes would be done by respective ministers and a detailed report on each scheme would be submitted to the government.
He also said that the Cabinet has decided to act firmly on any lapse, if found, in the implementation of these schemes.
Felix said, �The Cabinet has taken serious exception to the vague allegation levelled by BJP MLAs on embezzlement of Rs 900 crore under NEC and NLCPR in the State, which is without any substantial proof.
Such an irresponsible act by the elected representatives of a particular political party has given an impression that is inimical to the State of Arunachal before the Government of India, the Cabinet meeting observed yesterday.
All the NEC and NLCPR projects are approved by the ministry concerned and funds are released after documentary and physical inspection of each project, the Cabinet iterated, adding �such unsubstantiated allegations have demoralised the hard-working bureaucrats and technocrats of the State.
Acting swiftly on the decision, Chief Minister Tuki has already started reviewing the status of the schemes pertaining to his departments. Today he held a series of meetings with PHE and Water Supply department, Hydropower and RWD, and reviewed the schemes.
Cautioning the departmental officers and executing agencies on judicious execution of Central as well as State programmes, Tuki made it very clear that any official or agency found to be guilty of misappropriation would be dealt firmly by the government.
Tuki directed the officers to immediately submit a report on the status of projects with specific information substantiating the claim. The CM would be monitoring the schemes through spot inspection, too, the spokesperson added.