AGARTALA, Oct 12 - In a post-Puja bonanza for Tripura, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) has sanctioned a long-term loan of Rs 1,650 crore for upgrading infrastructure and other facilities in seven district headquarters of the State.
These district headquarters are Dharmanagar, Kailashahar, Khowai, Belonia, Udaipur, Bisramganj and Ambassa.
The final nod for the loan was given by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs of the Central Government.
Through an official communication, the Finance Ministry informed the State Government about the sanction of Rs 17.75 crore as the first instalment of the total outlay. The amount will have to be spent on road development, water supply, drainage system and building other infrastructure in the seven district headquarters in the next three years.
Besides, the loan amount will have to be spent on building road infrastructure to improve connectivity between the district headquarters and other parts of the State.
Sources said that a five-member delegation of the ADB had extensively visited the State in December, February and June before submitting a detailed report on the development requirements of the State.
Apart from this, the detailed project report (DPR) sent by the State was also examined by the ADB officials before giving the go-ahead for the loan sanction.
What is most important from the perspective of State is that 80 per cent of the amount to be received will be grants-in-aid, while the remaining 20 per cent will have to be repaid by the State Government in easy instalments.
The seven district headquarters are expected to get a major facelift after the project is implemented.
When contacted, an official of the Urban Development Department today said the work would begin as early as possible. �The Government will give due importance to speedy completion of the works to be undertaken with the first instalment of funds,� he said.