Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

5-year-old loses limbs in freak accident

By Biplab Kr Dey

TURA, Jan 20 � In a tragic incident in November 16 last year, a five-year-old boy was electrocuted while he was relieving himself in front of an open transformer by the roadside here. The accident left the boy, Chedan Marak, unconscious and close to death. Miraculously, he survived but lost both his hands which had to be amputated.

Upon hearing the incident, the West Garo Hills District Administration immediately gave the family of the victim an amount of Rs 50,000, while asking the MeECL to take moral responsibility and help in the rehabilitation of the young boy. The boy�s father, a daily wage earner, has appealed to all for assistance in covering the high costs of rehabilitation.

DC of the district Pravin Bakshi said, �We want to support the boy to ensure that at least his medical costs, including formal amputation, skin grafting, hospital stay, prosthesis and physiotherapy are covered. The total cost is about Rs 3 lakh. We have contributed Rs 50,000 and would appeal to all to help the boy�.

The DC also said that an appeal has been made to the MeECL to take moral responsibility for the accident and contribute to the cause. The MeECL, however, is yet to respond. The Department of Social Welfare is also being apprised of the condition of the boy and help sought from them.

In the meantime, the MeECL has now put up a fencing around the transformer which was missing when the tragedy happened.

Next Story