SILCHAR, Feb 29 - In a tragic incident, a four-year old boy died after a massive fire broke out in a flat at Ambikapatty area here on Saturday.
According to locals, fire broke out in the flat of Ramendu Nath, a businessman and Sarbori Nath, a senior official at the Department of Water Resources on the fourth floor at the Dinesh Enclave around 1 pm when both of them were out of home while their minor son and a domestic helper was at home. The deceased minor has been identified as Ratnadeep Nath and the housemaid as 21-year-old Sipti Nath. The fire broke out due to a short circuit.
It is learnt that the minor had called his mother and informed her about the incident following which Sarbori Nath called the fire service and rushed home. However, before the parents could reach, the minor unable to get out of the room, succumbed to the fire while the house maid also sustained major burns. Fire fighters reached the spot and rescued the maid and rushed her to the Burn Unit at Silchar Medical College and Hospital while doctors at the hospital declared the child dead on arrival.
The incident sparked great anxiety and tension in the proximity. Cachar Deputy Commissioner Barnali Sarma reached the spot to take stock of the situation along with Cachar SP Manabendra Dev Ray and Additional SP (Headquarter) Jagadish Das, OC Sadar Ditumoni Goswami and officials from the District Disaster Management Authority.
Sarma sounded emotional after meeting the parents of the deceased child and also learnt about the happening. � I have no words to express at the loss of the minor,� the Deputy Commissioner said as she asked Circle Officer Dhruvajyoti Pathak to facilitate treatment of the burn-hit housemaid at the hospital.
Later, talking to the media the Deputy Commissioner said � a magisterial-level probe shall be ordered to scrutinise whether the residential apartments mushrooming across the town and the district are being constructed as per civic bylaws.� She added to say that she would speak to the management committees of the residential apartments in the town and across the district as well.