Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

200 hospitalised due to food poisoning

By Sobhapati Samom

IMPHAL, Nov 3 - Around 200 people were hospitalised after a traditional feast at Thanga, a village near Loktak Lake in Manipur�s Bishnupur district on Monday, delayed reports here said.

All the victims had common complaints: acute stomach ache, fever and loose motion, according to Heisnam Kulachandra, a resident of Thanga.

The people reportedly fell sick after attending a traditional feast organised in connection with the death anniversary of a villager at Thanga under Moirang police station, on October 31.

Experts from the State Food Safety office visited the village and collected samples of the food and ingredients for making the dishes to ascertain the cause of the food poisoning. The Chief Medical Officer of Bishnupur district also visited the Primary Health Centre at Thanga with some emergency drugs and kits, Kulachandra said.

The situation is still alarming as around 100 patients, which included mostly females and children, were first admitted to the 10-bed Primary Health Centre in Thanga. Another 100 patients have been admitted to several other Public Health Centres in the area. The critical cases were referred to hospitals in Imphal.

On Wednesday, Planning and Development Authority chairman T Mangibabu, who is also the MLA of Thanga constituency visited the PHC and informed the media that necessary steps have been taken to control the situation.

Next Story
Similar Posts
200 hospitalised due to food poisoning

IMPHAL, Nov 3 - Around 200 people were hospitalised after a traditional feast at Thanga, a village near Loktak Lake in Manipur�s Bishnupur district on Monday, delayed reports here said.

All the victims had common complaints: acute stomach ache, fever and loose motion, according to Heisnam Kulachandra, a resident of Thanga.

The people reportedly fell sick after attending a traditional feast organised in connection with the death anniversary of a villager at Thanga under Moirang police station, on October 31.

Experts from the State Food Safety office visited the village and collected samples of the food and ingredients for making the dishes to ascertain the cause of the food poisoning. The Chief Medical Officer of Bishnupur district also visited the Primary Health Centre at Thanga with some emergency drugs and kits, Kulachandra said.

The situation is still alarming as around 100 patients, which included mostly females and children, were first admitted to the 10-bed Primary Health Centre in Thanga. Another 100 patients have been admitted to several other Public Health Centres in the area. The critical cases were referred to hospitals in Imphal.

On Wednesday, Planning and Development Authority chairman T Mangibabu, who is also the MLA of Thanga constituency visited the PHC and informed the media that necessary steps have been taken to control the situation.