NEW DELHI, July 30 - The CBI Director today told the Supreme Court that two chargesheets have been filed in cases of alleged Manipur fake encounters by the Army, Assam Rifles and Manipur police, and five more final reports will be filed in separate cases by August 31.
CBI director Alok Kumar Verma had been summoned by the apex court which was unhappy over the �unduly long time� taken by the agency in probing the cases of alleged extra-judicial killings and fake encounters in Manipur.
A bench of Justices MB Lokur and UU Lalit was told by the agency�s director that 14 persons have been charge sheeted for the alleged offences of murder, criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence related to Manipur encounter cases.
The CBI also told the court that by August 31, five more final reports will be filed in encounter cases of Manipur and that probe in 20 more encounter cases will be completed by December end. The court then posted the matter for further hearing on August 20.
The court, which is hearing a PIL seeking a probe into as many as 1,528 cases of alleged extra-judicial killings in Manipur, had on July 14 last year constituted the SIT and ordered lodging of FIRs and probe into them. � PTI