Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

10-day police custody for blast accused duo

By Staff Reporter

GUWAHATI, May 17 - The Court of Special Magistrate, Kamrup (Metro) has remanded ULFA leader Pranmoy Rajguru and his accomplice Jahnabi Saikia to 10-day police remand, even as police today registered another case against the duo with the Satgaon Police Station.

Both the accused have been booked under various Sections of the law, including sedition and another of waging war against the country.

Defence lawyer, appearing for both the accused, however refrained from filing any bail petition today.

Both Pranmoy Rajguru and Jahnabi Saikia were arrested on Thursday in connection with the grenade blast on Wednesday. Police had also recovered arms and huge quantity of explosives from the residence of Jahnabi located at Panjabari area.

Although the investigators sought 14-day custody in each of the cases registered with the Geetanagar Police Station and the Satgaon Police Station, the Court allowed them 10 days of police custody for the accused in connection with the Geetanagar case.

In the Geetanagar Police Station case, the duo is facing charges under Sections 305/326/307 and 121 of the IPC read with Sections 3/5 of Explosives Substances Act, and Sections 10/13/16/20 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

Further, in the Satgaon Police Station case (147/19), the accused have been booked under relevant Sections of the IPC, Arms Act read with various Sections under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, and the Explosives Substances Act.

After being produced before the Court, Jahnabi broke down after seeing her parents.

Senior advocate Bhaskar Dev Konwar, who represented the accused in the Court, told media-persons that the Court has directed the police to allow the family members of the accused to meet them in police custody.

�The court also directed the police to facilitate medical examination for the accused after every 48 hours,� Konwar said.

Meanwhile, investigators claimed that Jahnabi was the one riding her two-wheeler when the grenade was lobbed.

ULFA commander-in-chief Paresh Baruah has, meanwhile, admitted that Jahnabi was the one who harboured the ULFA cadres.

A Correspondent from Nagaon adds: Meanwhile, Nagaon Police arrested a hardcore ULFA(I) cadre this evening from Chalchali village, around 10-12 km from Nagaon town, in connection with the grenade blast case.

Police seized a motorcycle, a SIM card and a mobile handset from his possession.

Preliminary interrogation revealed that the youth had links with the grenade blast case in Guwahati.

Nagaon Superintendent of Police Shankarbrata Raimedhi said the youth has been identified as Indra Bora of Puranigudam Chalchali village. Bora also made some objectionable posts in social media regarding the ULFA(I), Raimedhi added.

Next Story