GUWAHATI, April 20 - A major fire broke out in the Kumarpara locality here, gutting ten bamboo huts constructed on the rooftop of a multistorey building.
The fire apparently broke out due to leakage from a cooking gas cylinder, leading to an inferno.
Police said they are trying to verify whether the landlord is in possession of any kind of permission for constructing the tin-roofed bamboo huts on the rooftop in a haphazard manner.
The huts were rented out by Ashma Borbhuyan.
Sources in the State Fire Service Organisation stated that they are informed about the fire around 11.06 am after which six fire tenders were rushed to the spot.
�At least four cooking gas cylinders exploded in the fire. Luckily, there was no harm caused to any person in the incident,� sources said, adding, �it took nearly two hours for the fire fighters to douse the blaze,� sources added.