GUWAHATI, July 14 � The National Commission for Women (NCW) today pressed for fast track justice for the girl who was molested in Christianbasti area by a group of miscreants on July 9 night.
The Commission stated that it would recommend setting up of a special court for the completion of the trial within six months.
Wangchuk Syiem, member of the NCW, assisted by Delhi-based social activist Alka Lamba, and the members of the State Women Commission, further appealed the people to help police in nabbing the remaining seven accused, who are still at large. Police has so far arrested four of the accused in this connection.
�We met the victim girl today and took her account. She is presently with us and safe. We also met the Director General of Assam Police JN Choudhury and suggested measures relating to the safety and security of women,� said Lamba while briefing the media this evening.
The inquiry team also admitted that there were certain loopholes in the way the entire incident was handled by the police and civil administration.
Quoting the version of the victim, Lamba informed that the victim girl went to the bar on that fateful night with two of her friends and while she was getting down from the bar, some youths started capturing their videos, to which she resisted.
�This resulted in the altercation after which she was stripped and molested for almost 45 minutes by the miscreants,� she said, mentioning that had the onlookers dared to step forward against the culprits, the heinous crime could have been averted.
On the state of the victim, Lamba said that the girl is in a state of shock and the Commission was providing counseling to her besides other aid necessary.
�Injury marks are evident on her body and even marks of cigarette butts crashed is also there on her body. We are waiting for the medical report to come,� Lamba pointed out.
The Commission also informed that the license of the bar has been temporarily suspended and if the bar management is found guilty of serving liquor to an underage girl (victim), the bar will be permanently shut down.
The inquiry team will meet Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi over the issue tomorrow.