Staff Reporter

Release of two abducted Quippo officials

GUWAHATI, Feb 21: In a development that holds hope for the future of the two Quippo officials abducted by the ULFA (I), C-in-C of the banned outfit Paresh Barua today said that it was open to further negotiations on the issue and has extended the deadline for safe release of the duo.

In an apparent softening of stand following growing public opinion and widespread condemnation of the ‘ultimatum’ issued by the outfit that the duo would face dire consequences unless its demand for ransom was met, the ULFA(I) C-in-C told the media over phone that ‘dire consequences’ did not necessarily mean death sentence and that it was willing to continue with negotiation for an amicable settlement of the issue.

Barua also said that the media was misinterpreting the stand of the ULFA(I) on the issue.

“We are aware of the public sentiments on the issue and we are open to negotiations. Dire consequences does not necessarily mean death sentence and we have extended the deadline for their release,” Barua said.

The ULFA(I) had earlier issued a deadline, threatening that one of the two abducted executives – the one hailing from Bihar – would be killed on February 17 unless the ransom as demanded by the outfit was paid.

The two executives who are working with Quippo Oil and Gas Infrastructure Limited had been abducted from Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh.