Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

State students will face problems with NEET

By R Dutta Choudhury

GUWAHATI, April 30 - The students of Assam , particularly those who studied the Higher Secondary in Assamese medium, will have serious problems in appearing in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) as the Supreme Court has directed that the selections for admissions into the MBBS and BDS courses all over the country should be held only through the NEET.

Highly placed sources in the State Health Department told The Assam Tribune that till last year, the Dibrugarh University used to conduct the Joint Entrance Test for admission into the medical and engineering colleges of the State and this year too, the tests were scheduled to be held on May 14 and 15. The examinations are held both in Assamese and English and the students who studied the Higher Secondary level in Assamese medium did not have any problem in appearing in the examination. Moreover, a good number of students appear for admissions both in the medical and engineering colleges and they can do so easily as Physics and Chemistry papers are normally held on one day, while the Mathematics and Biology papers on the second day.

Sources said that Assam has 726 students for the MBBS courses in the medical colleges, of which 85 per cent are filled up with candidates from the State, while the remaining 15 per cent are filled up from among the candidates who appear in the all-India entrance test. Similarly, the Regional Dental College has 40 seats, of which 16 are for the students of Assam and the rest for the students of other States of the region.

With the Supreme Court order, the selection of candidates for the MBBS and BDS courses would have to be selected through the NEET. The NEET I will be held tomorrow, while the NEET II will be held on July 24 so that the admissions can take place in August. Sources pointed out that a majority of the students of the State did not apply for the national-level test to appear in NEET I. However, they would have a chance to apply for and appear in the NEET II. But the main problem would be the medium in which they would have to appear in the examination and this would put the students of small towns and rural areas in a disadvantageous position.

Sources pointed out that the NEET would be held only in English and Hindi and those who studied in Assamese medium would find it difficult to appear in the examination. The State government should immediately take up the matter so that students from the State are allowed to appear in the examination in Assamese, sources pointed out.

Though the CBSE and Higher Secondary Education Council syllabus is now almost similar, there are some differences and this would put the students who appeared in the Higher Secondary examination in the Council syllabus in a disadvantageous position.

It may be mentioned here that the State government has already decided to approach the Supreme Court seeking review of its order.

Next Story
Similar Posts
State students will face problems with NEET

GUWAHATI, April 30 - The students of Assam , particularly those who studied the Higher Secondary in Assamese medium, will have serious problems in appearing in the National Eligibility Entrance Test (NEET) as the Supreme Court has directed that the selections for admissions into the MBBS and BDS courses all over the country should be held only through the NEET.

Highly placed sources in the State Health Department told The Assam Tribune that till last year, the Dibrugarh University used to conduct the Joint Entrance Test for admission into the medical and engineering colleges of the State and this year too, the tests were scheduled to be held on May 14 and 15. The examinations are held both in Assamese and English and the students who studied the Higher Secondary level in Assamese medium did not have any problem in appearing in the examination. Moreover, a good number of students appear for admissions both in the medical and engineering colleges and they can do so easily as Physics and Chemistry papers are normally held on one day, while the Mathematics and Biology papers on the second day.

Sources said that Assam has 726 students for the MBBS courses in the medical colleges, of which 85 per cent are filled up with candidates from the State, while the remaining 15 per cent are filled up from among the candidates who appear in the all-India entrance test. Similarly, the Regional Dental College has 40 seats, of which 16 are for the students of Assam and the rest for the students of other States of the region.

With the Supreme Court order, the selection of candidates for the MBBS and BDS courses would have to be selected through the NEET. The NEET I will be held tomorrow, while the NEET II will be held on July 24 so that the admissions can take place in August. Sources pointed out that a majority of the students of the State did not apply for the national-level test to appear in NEET I. However, they would have a chance to apply for and appear in the NEET II. But the main problem would be the medium in which they would have to appear in the examination and this would put the students of small towns and rural areas in a disadvantageous position.

Sources pointed out that the NEET would be held only in English and Hindi and those who studied in Assamese medium would find it difficult to appear in the examination. The State government should immediately take up the matter so that students from the State are allowed to appear in the examination in Assamese, sources pointed out.

Though the CBSE and Higher Secondary Education Council syllabus is now almost similar, there are some differences and this would put the students who appeared in the Higher Secondary examination in the Council syllabus in a disadvantageous position.

It may be mentioned here that the State government has already decided to approach the Supreme Court seeking review of its order.