City Correspondent

GUWAHATI, Feb 18: The Sangjukta Anchalik Dal, Asom has slammed the ruling BJP government for its ‘failure’ to implement various welfare schemes in the State.

Addressing a press conference at the party office here today, Dal president Arup Barbora said, “We have seen that the ruling BJP has announced and implemented various direct and indirect cash benefit schemes targeting different sections of society in poll-bound Assam in the last couple of months. It is nothing but a ploy to lure the people of the State to gain votes and to cover up their overall failures in the last five years.”

Barbora added, “There is nothing new about announcing schemes after schemes, but what about the implementation of these schemes? The government has failed totally to implement its flagship schemes which are community service-related ones like water supply, irrigation, roads and infrastructure, employment and many more.”

Formed in August last year, the Sangjukta Anchalik Dal, Asom will not field candidates in the upcoming State Assembly election but will support the newly-formed AJP-Raijor Dal coalition.

Raising questions about implementation of various schemes, Barbora said, “Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had visited the State recently and launched the third phase of the Chah Bagicha Dhan Puraskar Mela under which Rs 3,000 each was transferred directly to around 7 lakh bank accounts of tea garden workers. But what is the status of the skill development and entrepreneurship grant for tea tribes, development of community centre for tea community, hostels for both boys and girls of tea tribes, guest house for patients’ attendants at the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital for tea tribes, Arundhati Gold Scheme and Swami Vivekananda Assam Youth Empowerment (SVAYEM) Yojana which were announced by the government in the last few years? We have not seen any steps in this regard.”

The party also criticised the Centre for its proposals to privatise the public sector units. “Lakhs of people working in the railways will lose their jobs due to the government decision to hand over express and goods trains and railway workshops to private parties. The Ministry of Railways in June last year invited bids from private players to operate 109 trains. There are 16 trains of NF Railway among the 109 trains of the country to be handed over to private players,” Barbora said.

Renowned filmmaker and adviser to Sangjukta Anchalik Dal, Asom Jahnu Baruah was also present at the press conference.