GUWAHATI, Jan 3 � Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said the situation in the volatile BTAD and Sonitpur districts was becoming normal and that those staying in relief camps were starting to go back to their homes.
Addressing a press conference, Gogoi also thanked the Centre for its quick response in sending Army and paramilitary forces to the violence-hit areas which helped in bringing the situation to normal.
�The Central forces acted in close coordination with the State government agencies and this has helped ease things and prevented communal flare-ups in the aftermath of the NDFB (S) carnage. I appreciate the Centre�s response, and the common people in the affected areas, too, played no less a significant role in preventing communal violence despite there being provocations,� he said.
Reacting to an IGP�s reported statement that the BTAD and Sonitpur carnage was perpetrated by NDFB (S) senior leader G Bidai without the knowledge of the outfit�s chief Songbijit, Gogoi said such large-scale killing was not possible without the consent of Songbijit. �Songbijit must have had a role in the carnage,� he asserted.
He said the culprits behind the carnage had been identified and the next logical step would be to apprehend and punish them.