GUWAHATI, Jan 5 � The Gauhati Town Club (GTC) organised Ramesh Baruah Trophy Cricket Tournament, which was started in the year 1967, is in troubled waters as the organisers have to put off the tournament for some days due to withdrawal of some participating teams.
Addressing a press conference, GTC general secretary Devajit Saikia blamed the Assam Cricket Association (ACA) for the setback to the championship which was kicked off on January 2.
Saikia revealed that due to pressure from ACA, four Guwahati based teams have pulled out from the meet. Saikia said, last year, when the tournament was revived after 1986, they sought permission from the State cricket body for holding the meet by sending a letter to ACA. The GTC secretary alleged that ACA did not reply to that letter but the tournament was successfully conducted. So this time they did not think of writing again and anticipated that last year�s letter will be enough in this regard.
To give a platform for match practice to the State cricketers this tournament can play a vital role. Considering the interest of the local cricketers, GTC has revived the tournament with good facilities to the players, said Saikia. So last year they started the tournament in a befitting manner. This year also they are organising the meet in an ideal playing condition. He also blamed the role of Guwahati Sports Association�s cricket secretary for spoiling the tournament.
Saikia, however stated that a GTC delegation will call on ACA president and State Minister Gautam Roy to bring out a solution to break the deadlock.
ACA reaction: When contacted, ACA secretary Bikash Baruah said Gauhati Town Club did not ask for permission to organise the Ramesh Baruah Trophy this year. He said as per BCCI guidelines, all the BCCI affiliated State associations should have control over the local tournaments and all the organisers should get permission from the State body through district associations.
Praising the tournament for giving an opportunity to the youngsters for having match practice, Baruah said although GTC�s effort is praiseworthy they must abide by the rules and regulations of BCCI. Baruah said last year they have given permission within one hour of receiving the application, but this year they did not apply for that. He, however vehemently denied that officially ACA has prevented any club to take part in the meet.
GSA reaction: GSA cricket secretary Bablu Choudhury, when asked to comment, said �GTC is unnecessarily dragging him into this mud throwing game. He said GTC have to take permission directly from ACA as several teams from outside the city are taking part in the meet. He said he is not at all involved in this issue in any way.