SILCHAR, July 17 - Mahua Nag, a patient at Unit No. 4 of the Female Ward in the Department of Medicine at Silchar Medical College & Hospital had a narrow escape after the ceiling of the ward peeled off owing to the ongoing construction work.
�We were shocked to witness the incident. Our mother was underneath the ceiling which peeled off due to the ongoing construction work on the top floor of the hospital building. Despite requests, the masons were in no mood to stop the task even when we said we shall call the police, which intensified the cracks. We were therefore compelled to shift our mother from the spot,� exclaimed Rahul Nag.
Attendants of other patients in the ward claimed that the hospital authorities should have informed us before asking the concerned workers to begin the construction work on the top floor of the building.
�Such unplanned and sudden activity could have been disastrous for the patients. The dust from the broken concrete has caused great difficulty for the patients,� the attendants maintained.
Meanwhile, Dr AS Baishya, Superintendent of the hospital has admitted that the incident is totally accidental and things will not be repeated in the future. When asked about the reasons for such careless approach on the part of the hospital, Dr Baishya told The Assam Tribune on Monday, �We agree there was an absolute lack of communication between the administration and the contractor, who went ahead with the demolition work without realising that the patients could be at risk. We have taken immediate measures to stop the work and we assure that such incidents will not be repeated in the hospital in future.�
He informed that the hospital has duly submitted a report about the incident as sought by the Health Minister Dr Himanta Biswa Sarma after a video of the incident went viral on social media.
On the other hand, Udharbond MLA Mihir Kanti Shome, who went to take stock of the situation, has asked the hospital authorities to maintain strict vigil on the situation and made it clear that patients must not suffer at any cost.
�Life of the patients who come for treatment is precious. The incident has caused great panic among the patients and the attendants as well. I have told the Superintendent of SMCH that a similar situation should not arise in the future,� the MLA maintained.