GUWAHATI, Sept 9 - Continuing with the ongoing war of words with the Centre on flood assistance, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said no money was released by the Centre under the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) last year despite the fact that an amount of Rs 380 crore was sanctioned.
Similarly, the Union Water Resource Ministry, too, has not released any fund for flood control works for the last three years, adversely affecting the State�s flood management.
�We sought an amount of Rs 2,500 crore under the NDRF, but got nothing even though an amount of Rs 380 crore was recommended for us. Many other States, including the northeastern States of Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya got funds under the NDRF,� Gogoi said at a press conference.
Gogoi said the State Government has no dearth of funds for providing relief for the flood-hit and conducting minor repair works. �But for undertaking major infrastructure restoration work, the Centre must assist us in a big way. That is not happening,� he added.
On the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF), Gogoi said that an amount of Rs 207 crore out of a total of Rs 460 crore (Central share being Rs 414 crore) had been released in May. �There is, therefore, no question of the Centre releasing Rs 1,665 crore for relief and rescue operations as reported in a section of the media,� he said. The Chief Minister added that a comprehensive assessment of losses to infrastructure, crop and property was under way and a detailed memorandum would be submitted to the Centre soon seeking financial assistance.