GUWAHATI, Dec 13 - Like many others, the unprecedented Chennai flood has left a telling effect on a Guwahati-based family, too.
Members of the Purkayastha family have been left high and dry after one of the senior members of their family went missing from the flood-ravaged Chennai on December 3.
Since then, there has been no news about Sapan Purkayastha�s whereabouts, fuelling apprehensions that all was not well. A sense of shock and disbelief is what has truck the family members who are now spending sleepless nights.
A resident of the city�s Borbari area, Purkayastha went to Chennai last month for his treatment along with his family members. The name of Sapan Purkayastha, it needs mention, did not feature in the list prepared by the Assam State Disaster Management Authority (as on December 3) of persons from Assam who got affected during the Chennai flood.
Aged about 64 years, Purkayastha�s cell phone has also been in the switched-off mode since then, his family members said. The Chennai police, meanwhile, registered a missing case and the Commissioner of Police, Chennai, TK Rajendran himself is supervising the case.
A member of the Purkayastha family said the CBI office of Chennai has also been informed about it and the photograph of Sapan Purkayastha has already been circulated across the rescue teams engaged in Chennai.
�Yesterday, two bodies were fished out and we were asked to send the identification marks. Fortunately, the marks did not match,� he said.
Meanwhile, all the 22 persons from Assam who were affected by the flood in Chennai have started returning to the State.
When contacted by The Assam Tribune, family members of the affected people said that they were in touch with their relatives and are safe.
Sources at Dispur informed that the helpline number is still in place in Chennai and as the rescue operation is still on in various parts, information will be passed on whenever something comes up.