Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

New revelations about NSCN(K) activities

By R Dutta Choudhury
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

GUWAHATI, July 5 � Militant outfit NSCN(K) withdrew from the ceasefire agreement with the Government of India soon after signing a formal agreement with the Government of Myanmar. However, the decision to withdraw from the ceasefire agreement with the Government of India was taken some time back. These revelations have come out following the arrest of senior leader of the outfit Khumlo Abi Anal by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in connection with the killing of 18 Army personnel in Manipur.

Highly placed security sources told The Assam Tribune that the arrest of Anal led to unearthing of vital information about the activities of the NSCN(K), which led to the withdrawal of the outfit from the ceasefire agreement with the Government of India. Immediately after the withdrawal from the truce pact, chairman of the outfit SS Khaplang took over as the chairman of the newly formed platform of four militant outfits of the region.

Sources said that Anal met Khaplang in Taga in Myanmar in December last year and the issue of withdrawal from the ceasefire agreement was discussed during that time. Another meeting of the senior leaders of the outfit was held in March this year, where it was decided that the best option for the outfit was to withdraw from the truce pact. The leaders of the outfit felt that their importance was being reduced and the Government was giving more importance to NSCN(I-M). They felt that under the circumstances, the best option for them was to withdraw from the ceasefire agreement to show its strength to the Government of India.

Security sources said that the arrest of Anal and another senior leader K Rochilli and their confessions before the security agencies revealed that the leaders of the NSCN(K) wanted a comprehensive solution to the Naga political issue, by incorporating the Naga-inhabited areas in India and Myanmar, but it was not possible for the Government of India to make any commitment on the issue. The Government made it clear that it cannot go for any solution cutting across the international boundary. Following the deliberations, Khaplang directed the office-bearers of his outfit not to attend the scheduled meeting of the ceasefire monitoring group to discuss the extension of the ceasefire agreement, which was due to expire in April this year.

Sources said that Khaplang was also under pressure from other militant groups of the region, including ULFA(I), to break away from the ceasefire agreement so that their idea of forming a common platform becomes a reality.

Security sources further said that Khaplang decided to break off the ceasefire pact with the Government of India only after formally signing such an agreement with the Myanmar government. Sources revealed that NSCN(K) had signed an agreement with the authorities of the Sagaing division of Myanmar in 2012 and finally the outfit signed a deed of commitment for peace and reconciliation with the Government of Myanmar this year.

Next Story
Similar Posts
New revelations about NSCN(K) activities

GUWAHATI, July 5 � Militant outfit NSCN(K) withdrew from the ceasefire agreement with the Government of India soon after signing a formal agreement with the Government of Myanmar. However, the decision to withdraw from the ceasefire agreement with the Government of India was taken some time back. These revelations have come out following the arrest of senior leader of the outfit Khumlo Abi Anal by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in connection with the killing of 18 Army personnel in Manipur.

Highly placed security sources told The Assam Tribune that the arrest of Anal led to unearthing of vital information about the activities of the NSCN(K), which led to the withdrawal of the outfit from the ceasefire agreement with the Government of India. Immediately after the withdrawal from the truce pact, chairman of the outfit SS Khaplang took over as the chairman of the newly formed platform of four militant outfits of the region.

Sources said that Anal met Khaplang in Taga in Myanmar in December last year and the issue of withdrawal from the ceasefire agreement was discussed during that time. Another meeting of the senior leaders of the outfit was held in March this year, where it was decided that the best option for the outfit was to withdraw from the truce pact. The leaders of the outfit felt that their importance was being reduced and the Government was giving more importance to NSCN(I-M). They felt that under the circumstances, the best option for them was to withdraw from the ceasefire agreement to show its strength to the Government of India.

Security sources said that the arrest of Anal and another senior leader K Rochilli and their confessions before the security agencies revealed that the leaders of the NSCN(K) wanted a comprehensive solution to the Naga political issue, by incorporating the Naga-inhabited areas in India and Myanmar, but it was not possible for the Government of India to make any commitment on the issue. The Government made it clear that it cannot go for any solution cutting across the international boundary. Following the deliberations, Khaplang directed the office-bearers of his outfit not to attend the scheduled meeting of the ceasefire monitoring group to discuss the extension of the ceasefire agreement, which was due to expire in April this year.

Sources said that Khaplang was also under pressure from other militant groups of the region, including ULFA(I), to break away from the ceasefire agreement so that their idea of forming a common platform becomes a reality.

Security sources further said that Khaplang decided to break off the ceasefire pact with the Government of India only after formally signing such an agreement with the Myanmar government. Sources revealed that NSCN(K) had signed an agreement with the authorities of the Sagaing division of Myanmar in 2012 and finally the outfit signed a deed of commitment for peace and reconciliation with the Government of Myanmar this year.