Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Kabul terror attack ends, all insurgents killed

By The Assam Tribune

KABUL, Sept 14 (IANS): A well coordinated terror attack in Kabul targeting the US embassy ended Wednesday after an assault that lasted about 20 hours and left seven people dead.

Operation against militants in Kabul has been concluded and all insurgents have been killed, Xinhua quoted the interior ministry as saying.

The rebels mounted the daring attack in Kabul Tuesday, with multiple blasts rocking the Afghan capital. The militants wearing suicide vests targeted the US embassy and triggered a fierce gunfight.

The overnight siege saw security forces surrounding the militants' positions in the under-construction building and trying to eliminate them. The gunmen had resumed firing Wednesday morning.

The interior ministry said that 12 people, including five suicide bombers, four police and three civilians, had been killed and 21 people, including eight civilians, were injured.

Xinhua quoted a security official as saying that four security personnel had been injured overnight.

The tall building that was occupied by the rebels is in the Char Rahi Abdul Haq area, close to the US embassy and NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters.

Taliban spokesperson Zabiullah Mujahid told CNN that they targeted "the US embassy, governmental organisations and other foreign organisations".

Next Story
Similar Posts
Kabul terror attack ends, all insurgents killed

KABUL, Sept 14 (IANS): A well coordinated terror attack in Kabul targeting the US embassy ended Wednesday after an assault that lasted about 20 hours and left seven people dead.

Operation against militants in Kabul has been concluded and all insurgents have been killed, Xinhua quoted the interior ministry as saying.

The rebels mounted the daring attack in Kabul Tuesday, with multiple blasts rocking the Afghan capital. The militants wearing suicide vests targeted the US embassy and triggered a fierce gunfight.

The overnight siege saw security forces surrounding the militants' positions in the under-construction building and trying to eliminate them. The gunmen had resumed firing Wednesday morning.

The interior ministry said that 12 people, including five suicide bombers, four police and three civilians, had been killed and 21 people, including eight civilians, were injured.

Xinhua quoted a security official as saying that four security personnel had been injured overnight.

The tall building that was occupied by the rebels is in the Char Rahi Abdul Haq area, close to the US embassy and NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters.

Taliban spokesperson Zabiullah Mujahid told CNN that they targeted "the US embassy, governmental organisations and other foreign organisations".