Guwahati, Jan 27: The strike called by motor transport workers today was withdrawn following an assurance by officials of the transport and labour departments that their demands are being looked into.
Leaders of 11 transport workers’ unions today held another round of meeting with the labour and transport commissioners and other officials.
“During the meeting, we were handed over a draft of a welfare scheme. Our views have been sought on it,” union leader Biren Sarma said.
A welfare scheme for the motor workers is the main demand of the striking unions.
“So far we have seen the right intent from the officials. But we also want to see the same intent from the government. For this we have sought a meeting at a higher level – preferably at the ministerial level – by February 10 after which we will decide whether to withdraw the remaining part of the agitation,” Sarma said.
The unions have not withdrawn the 48-hour chakka bandh called from February 12 and a 72-hour chakka bandh called from February 25.
The unions said the transport officials also assured to look into their demand for tax waiver for the lockdown period and a financial assistance.