DIMAPUR, March 24 - Twenty-seven houses were reduced to ashes when a massive fire broke out at Y Zhimomi Colony here on Friday night. The blaze rendered 34 families homeless, Nagaland Home Commissioner Abhishek Singh said in a release today.
The affected families were living mostly in semi-concrete and thatched houses. The exact cause of the fire could not be ascertained, but it is suspected to be due to short circuit.
Though the fire brigade reached in time, nothing could be salvaged due to close proximity of the houses, the release added.