SILCHAR, Jan 12 � Expressing serious concern over the government�s intent to drag the 20,000 people belonging to the 1966-1971 stream of foreigners in Assam who have not enlisted their names at the Foreigners Registration Office till now into more trouble, the Barak Upatyaka Banga Sahitya and Sanskritik Sammelan, popularly known as Barak Banga, has made an appeal to the Centre and the State Government to extend the time by another six months on humanitarian grounds.
Gautam Prasad Dutta, central committee secretary of Barak Banga in a letter to the State Government has said that the government seems to be dealing with the issue in great haste. �It is a serious violation of the promises made by the national leaders at the time of Independence,� Dutta said.
He further added that most of the people who have migrated to India from across the border are basically illiterate and are largely unaware of the norms and procedures. Also, the notification was not widely disseminated across the state, Dutta maintained.
It is to be mentioned that the Central Government on July 16 last year issued a notification giving a timeline of 180 days for the registration, which expires right after the ensuing Bhogali Bihu festival. �It is not that the Chief Minister is unaware of the situation. Yet why is the government not taking action in the interest of the people,� Dutta questioned. He, on behalf of the Sammelan, has asked the political parties, social organisations and the civil society to raise their voices in support of the appeal.