Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

District admin restrictions on road digging

By PRANJAL BHUYAN
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo
  • Whatsapp
  • Telegram
  • Linkedin
  • Print
  • koo

GUWAHATI, April 5 � With a view to ensuring congestion-free roads and safety of pedestrians, the Kamrup Metro district administration has decided that henceforth contractors will have to seek prior permission of both the Public Works Department (PWD) and Traffic Department before undertaking any digging in the roads of the city.

Speaking to The Assam Tribune, Kamrup Metro Deputy Commissioner Dr M Angamuthu said that digging of roads at various places across the city has led to a chaotic situation, besides turning out to be an eyesore.

�There has been indiscriminate digging of roads. Contractors dig the roads and then leave them just like that for prolonged periods,� he said.

Angamuthu said that in future, contractors will have to seek prior permission of both the Public Works Department and Traffic Police for undertaking any such digging.

�In addition, they will have to submit affidavits mentioning safety standards being maintained.

�For example, they will have to barricade off the area being dug or erect barrier along the portion and put up signboards so that the public will know that the road is being dug. The contractors will have to ensure that there are no left-overs lying around once the digging is filled up.

�This will be applicable to all kinds of projects, including water supply, electricity, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and others,� Angamuthu said.

Meanwhile, with the approach of the rainy season, the administration has directed all the contractors to fill up the dug-up portions of roads by April 15 and also decided not to allow any more fresh digging on the roads till October 15.

He said a high-level meeting had been held with officials of the Public Works Department and Traffic Police to discuss the issue earlier this week.

�It has been decided that till October 15, no more fresh diggings will be allowed in the roads. In addition, the portions that have already been dug will have to be filled up by April 15. Failure to adhere to this will make contractors face penalty,� said the Deputy Commissioner.

Dr Angamuthu added, �Such type of practices has led to restriction of mobility. Not only has it led to traffic congestions at many places, but it is also a major hazard for the pedestrians.�

Next Story
Similar Posts
District admin restrictions on road digging

GUWAHATI, April 5 � With a view to ensuring congestion-free roads and safety of pedestrians, the Kamrup Metro district administration has decided that henceforth contractors will have to seek prior permission of both the Public Works Department (PWD) and Traffic Department before undertaking any digging in the roads of the city.

Speaking to The Assam Tribune, Kamrup Metro Deputy Commissioner Dr M Angamuthu said that digging of roads at various places across the city has led to a chaotic situation, besides turning out to be an eyesore.

�There has been indiscriminate digging of roads. Contractors dig the roads and then leave them just like that for prolonged periods,� he said.

Angamuthu said that in future, contractors will have to seek prior permission of both the Public Works Department and Traffic Police for undertaking any such digging.

�In addition, they will have to submit affidavits mentioning safety standards being maintained.

�For example, they will have to barricade off the area being dug or erect barrier along the portion and put up signboards so that the public will know that the road is being dug. The contractors will have to ensure that there are no left-overs lying around once the digging is filled up.

�This will be applicable to all kinds of projects, including water supply, electricity, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and others,� Angamuthu said.

Meanwhile, with the approach of the rainy season, the administration has directed all the contractors to fill up the dug-up portions of roads by April 15 and also decided not to allow any more fresh digging on the roads till October 15.

He said a high-level meeting had been held with officials of the Public Works Department and Traffic Police to discuss the issue earlier this week.

�It has been decided that till October 15, no more fresh diggings will be allowed in the roads. In addition, the portions that have already been dug will have to be filled up by April 15. Failure to adhere to this will make contractors face penalty,� said the Deputy Commissioner.

Dr Angamuthu added, �Such type of practices has led to restriction of mobility. Not only has it led to traffic congestions at many places, but it is also a major hazard for the pedestrians.�