GOLAKGANJ, May 28 � As a historical place, Dhubri is one of the most attractive tourist destinations in the State. Situated near the Bangladesh border in Assam, Dhubri is an important place as far as history and pilgrimage are concerned.
Among the towns situated on the banks of the Brahmaputra, Dhubri occupies an enviable position with regard to riverside landscape and natural beauty. A walk from the Circuit House towards the Mahkuma Parishad office along the tidy road passing by the riverside on the east of Dhubri can charm one and all with the Deputy Commissioner�s court, dak bungalow and government residential buildings with their big lawns and flower gardens on the left along the side of the mighty Brahmaputra river.
The horizon is dotted with the tiny impression of river islands with hazy shades of trees and huts. Here and there on the river, small boats sail across with passengers bound for the distant islands. This panoramic view of the Dhubri riverside is enchanting to all the visitors. The sight of the setting sun also creates a wonderful spectacle every evening on the riverside.
There is an attractive weather reading tower right on the river bank that also predicts the behaviour of the mighty Brahmaputra. The Panchpir Dargah is on the left where people belonging to all religions offer their oblations. It also plays a great role in keeping the communal harmony among the Hindus and the Muslims. Opposite to the Panchpir Dargah, on the northern bank of the Brahmaputra, stands an impressive equestrian statue of Chilarai, symbolising valour and human ambition. Below, beside the statue, stands the historical rock of Netai Dhubuni, reminding the best tradition of glorious womanhood, sacrifice and dedication.
According to Hindu mythology, Netai Dhubuni got the boon for the rebirth of her husband, Lakhindar, and from this legend, the name �Dhubri� is derived. The historic temple of Kamakhya and Mirzumla�s burial place are located on a hillock of Mankachar town near Dhubri and these are considered landmarks of tourism. The history of this temple, which is visited by devotees from all over Assam, can be traced back to the age of the Puranas.
The history of Dhubri has been glorified by the visit of Guru Teg Bahadur, the ninth Guru of the Sikh community in 1666. Established by the Sikh Guru then, the Gurudwara of Dhubri has today flourished into an important institution of reverence, not only bringing in Sikh devotees from across the world but also other people of different religions.
There are also many satras and thans in Dhubri district. Notable among them is Ramraikuti, situated on the Indo-Bangladesh border of Satrasal area under the Golakganj Police Station. It is believed to have been set up between 1560 and 1570 AD by Srimanta Sankaradeva during the time of King Naranarayan. Srimanta Sankaradeva and his disciple, Madhavdeva preached the Vaishnavite religion here for several decades.
Although devotees and tourists visit this religious place throughout the year, their flow increases during the winter season from November to February. Learned citizens of the district headquarters town believe that Dhubri�s tourism potential is yet to be tapped fully, and with some elaborate planning, the place can well be developed into an important tourist spot that will bring in revenue to the State exchequer, besides opening up employment avenues for many.