SHILLONG, Jan 19 � After 18 days, curfew was lifted from Meghalaya�s Resulbelpara sub-division in Garo Hills as life is limping back to normalcy post the ethnic riots.
There is still a massive security cover to prevent any deterioration in the law-and-order situation. Security forces are moving around in sensitive pockets to prevent any untoward incident
It may be mentioned that the Garo-Rabha ethnic clashes had left 10 persons dead, seven seriously injured and nearly 50,000 people displaced from their hearth. �Curfew has been totally lifted from Resublepara after the situation returned to normal in the riot-hit areas,� Meghalaya�s East Garo Hills district Deputy Commissioner Pravin Bakshi said.
So far, 11 relief camps have been closed after 4,657 displaced persons felt it was safe to return to their homes. These people fled their homes after the riots broke out between the two communities on New Year�s Eve.
As a precautionary measure, Section 144 is still imposed in East Garo Hills banning assembly of more than five persons, Bakshi said. He expressed optimism that the remaining displaced persons in relief camps would also return homes soon.
�We are expecting the remaining displaced persons from the worst affected areas in Assam�s Chigisim, Hudakona, Kasikagra and Chutipara would return to their home soon,� the district official said.
The State government, meanwhile, has announced compensation of Rs 3 lakh to the next of kin of those killed and Rs 10,000 each for displaced families and three bundles of CGI sheets to rebuild razed houses. The government would bear all expenses for the treatment of the injured.
Moreover, peace committees from both the Garo and Rabha communities are trying to bridge the gap that has widened after the clashes.